iRules For Parents: From Their Children
Janell Burley Hofmann, April 29, 2016
Below is a list of iRules elementary school children think their parents should follow. I gathered their thoughts and ideas on this topic and read it aloud to their parents during an evening presentation. We all had to take a big, deep, reflective breath when it was through.
This list should not be used as a tool for parent guilt or shaming, but instead as a beautiful and powerful reflection on how much our children love, need and want us.
iRules For Parents:
- Whatever rules you think are important for me, should be important for you too.
- When I ask for help, please help me.
- Don’t text and drive.
- Do something productive!
- Eat a meal without starting at your device.
- Don’t work so much.
- Have some tech free time.
- Know how much time you are spending on your screen. Limit your time.
- Come outside and play with me.
- Listen to me.
- Talk to me.
- Go to sleep.
- See me. In my eyes.